Metaphysical

Something we forget in our material world.

Friday, August 18, 2006

SWOT Effectiveness?

I am currently pursuing MBA where we regularly are supposed to apply SWOT (Strength-Weakness-Opportunity-Threat) analysis. Here we study that we have to grab any opportunity that comes our way with our both hands. Even convert threats into potential opportunities. But I have few experiences that certainly cannot be solved by this method. If you can, please let me know.

I believe that I had little opportunities in my Professional life. Especially there was scarcity of opportunities when I need them desperately, which made me flounder for a considerable time. Well I am perfectly satisfied with the conditions I am in, but there was a period where I had ample career opportunities coming my way, but they had little relevance to me, as I had decided my path and they were not concurrent with it. Now if we apply this SWOT analysis to this decision, it could be marked as mistake!

Now tell me something, is it a mistake to know what you want from your life? Is it wrong to reject the opportunities that might send you down the rabbit hole? How would you solve the problem when you don’t get enough opportunities when you need them and you get them when you know that you don’t want them? Is this strength or a weakness? I know there are many people who normally accept such opportunities; that’s how we meet people who say that they never wanted to enter this field in the first place. But they get driven by situations? Is it wrong not to get driven by life and want to have some control on it?

I believe this is just one big Catch 22 situation! I preferred the exit route and started rediscovering my path, but I still have many critics that still believe that I made mistakes; that’s why I didn’t get opportunities and those were bigger mistakes to leave the ones I got. I am on my way to find the answer from life, but if you can offer some insight on it, you are more than welcome! Just answer one question, “Which would give more satisfaction, going the way the life takes you or fighting for things you love and you believe in and trying to achieve them?”

1 Comments:

  • At 10:43 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    huny...SWOT is meant only for mng fundas n not for our lives..wel if asked btwn goin d way life wants u or taking ur own actions accordin to ur wishes and not circumstances then the best way is to go by ur wish.i.e. i wud go wid the 2nd half of the last scentence..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home